U5NOR13 Norwegian for Foreign Students. Beginners' Course
Course description for academic year 2022/2023
Contents and structure
Norwegian for foreign students. Beginners' course is directed towards foreign students studying at the Western Norway University of Applied Sciences, campus Bergen, for three months or more. There may be max 21 students in the class. The course requires no previous knowledge of Norwegian. The students must be sufficiently proficient in English to understand instructions in English.
The course focuses on training of communicative skills in Norwegian, first and foremost listening and speaking. The communicative training will deal with everyday situations/speech acts.
The course is offered twice a year, starting in August and January. The course is completed with an oral exam.
By the end of the course the students are expected to have knowlegde about:
- the most important features of Norwegian sound structure and pronunciation
- basic rules of Norwegian language structure.
By the end of the course the students are expected to be able to:
- understand spoken Norwegian in simple situations of communication (receptive skills)
- make themselves understood in simple situations of communication (productive skills)
- participate in and lead simple conversations in Norwegian (communicative skills)
- understand and make use of simple written information in Norwegian (receptive skills).
By the end of the course the students are expected to
- be able to use Norwegian as the language of communication in simple situations of communication.
The lessons will be conducted with a mixture of instructions/explanations by the teacher and communicative activities, both student-teacher and student-student. The language of instruction will be Norwegian, but English will be used as "support language" in the teacher-centred instruction. The students are expected to do tasks from class to class.
Compulsory learning activities
The final exam will consist of a 20 minutes' oral examination where the students' communicative skills will be tested.
The exam will be evaluated with the grades Passed/Not Passed.
Students who do not pass the exam, will get one (1) more opportunity to sign up for the exam at the same term.
Examination support material
NoneMore about examination support material