Nordic Network for Music Education
NNME is a network within Nordplus. The partners in the network are among the leading institutions in the Nordic and the Baltic countries within the academic field of music education (in the Nordic countries called music pedagogy).
The network comprises 15 institutions, carefully selected, and represents all the five Nordic and the three Baltic countries. For over 20 years Western Norway University of Applied Sciences has been the network coordinator.
The broad aim of the network is to strengthen the reflection and the discussion of music education, and through this also contribute to its development.
The particular strengths and specialties of each country and institution are made use of in network cooperation and thus it is possible to carry out in-depth studies with perspectives and broadness exceeding the capacity of individual institutions.
Network activities include teacher and student exchange, network planning and intensive seminars for masters students. Joint intensive courses for master students has been one of the key areas of the network. Eleven courses have been organized.
The topics and focuses have varied according to the hosts and their specialities and preferences. Students also get the opportunity to present their ongoing projects. Particular teachers at the course comment upon these projects.
2019–2022: Digital Competence and Digitized Musical Heritage
- Part 1: 2019 Course: Digital Competence and Music Beyond Europe (Malmo, Sweden, November 4-8, 2019)
- Part 2: 2020 Course: Digitized Heritage: Sustaining Local Traditions
- Part 3: 2021 Course: Music Learning with Digital Technologies
2015–2018: The Universality of music
Pushing the borders of music education: Nordic-Baltic perspectives.
- Part 1: Music language and communication: Building bridges and intercultural connections in a lifespan perspective. An intensive course was successfully organized in Reykjavik October 2015.
- Part 2: Music education: Identity, citizenship and community. An intensive course was successfully organized in Bergen October/November 2017.
- Part 3: Pushing borders: Beyond traditional venues of music education. A third intensive course is planned to take place at The University of Arts, Sibelius Academy in Finland October 2018.
More information on the project: