ING171 Classical mechanics
Course description for academic year 2019/2020
Contents and structure
Motion along a straight line, motion in space, Newton's laws, work and energy, collisions, rotation, Newtons 2.law for rotation.
The student knows the
- the structure of newtonian mechanics.
- Newton's 3 laws and the work-energy-law, both for translational and rotational motion.
- conservation laws needed in connection with collisions, both for translational and rotational motion.
- the conditions relating to the use of different laws and principles.
- the use of models and the model conditions.
The students can perform
- Calculations based on Newtonian mechanics, both translational and rotational motion.
- Use of good and clear sketches as part of solutions in mechanic.
- Laboratory work including teamwork and writing of reports.
The student can:
- Explain physical problems and solution methods to others, both in writing and verbally.
- Use tools from physics to find solutions in other technical fields.
- Recognize simple laws which are expressed in complex technologies.
Recommended previous knowledge
2FY / Physics 1
3MX / R2
Lectures, exercises, and laboratory work. The primary language of instruction for the lectures and all forms of evaluation (examinations, portfolios, and other work) will be Norwegian. However, some lectures and tutorials may be given in English.
Compulsory learning activities
1: 2 lab-excersices approved. If the student has had the right to previously take the exame this compulsory assignment is considered fulfilled.
2: Will be specified in the curriculum at semester start.
Written exam, 3 hours
Grade: A - E / F (failed).
Examination support material
Simple calculator: Allowed calculator is Casio fx-82 (all varieties: ES, ES Plus, EX, Solar etc.)More about examination support material
- ING1008 - Fysikk - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- ING1030 - Fysikk for elektro - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- ING1004 - Fysikk - Reduction: 5 studypoints