FE402 Applied Exercises in Renewable Energy
Course description for academic year 2021/2022
Contents and structure
Through a series of lectures and exercises, the students will gain a practical understanding for various forms of renewable energy technology. The exercises will be performed in groups of 2-3, with each group submitting one report for each exercise.
This course builds on the theoretical knowledge, skills and competences gained in FE407, by applying this theory to practical exercises representative of those which students might encounter later in their academic- and/or working careers.
- Students will develop knowledge about the production of hydrogen gas by means of electrolysis and convert the hydrogen gas to electricity with the use of fuel cells.
- Students will develop knowledge about how to determine and discuss the potential for wind energy production.
- Students will develop knowledge about how to determine the effects of turbine blade profile, wind turbine blade pitch, and wind turbine solidity on energy production.
- Students will develop knowledge about how to calculate the direct solar radiation for a specific location and compare this with both actual measured data and commercial software calculations.
- Students will develop knowledge about how to produce the most common biofuel in Europe (RME biodiesel) and determine the environmental impacts of production.
- Students will develop knowledge about the most important parameters for hydro-electric production.
- Students will develop skills to assemble and use scientific equipment by performing the exercises.
- Students will develop skills to measure and record results in an organized, consistent, and clear manner.
- Students will develop skills to follow health and safety rules.
- Students will develop skills to report and communicate complex procedures and results to a broader public.
- Students will develop group- and teamwork skills.
- Students will develop competency about the basic principles of chemistry, physics, and biology relevant to renewable technologies.
- Students will develop competency about how to prepare-for and perform scientific exercises, and report and discuss the results and conclusions in a scientific manner.
Recommended previous knowledge
FE405 and FE407
Lectures, group work and exercises.
Compulsory learning activities
Grading scale A-F, where F represents a fail.
- Five group based project assignments with groups of 2-3 students, of at least 2000 words each (excluding reference list).
Examination support material
AllMore about examination support material