ING3043 Performance Based Fire Safety Design
Course description for academic year 2022/2023
Contents and structure
Introduction to fire safety engineering using a performance based design approach verifying compliance with the functional requirements relating to safety in case of fire given by Technical Regulation to the Planning and Building Act. The course focuses on:
- Methods for documentation of deviations from guidance to building regulations to the Planning and Building Act,
- Documentation of fire safety in existing buildings.
- Has broad knowledge of key issues, theories, processes, tools and methods in the field of fire safety engineering.
- Is able to update her/his knowledge in the field.
- Is able to document fire safety according to the performance based requirements given in Technical Regulations to the Planning and Building Act.
- Is able to perform fire safety design using a performance based design approach.
- Has knowledge of current legislation and the application for this discipline
- Is able to document fire safety for existing buildings.
- Has knowledge of research and development in the field.
- Is able to apply technical knowledge and relevant research and development of practical and theoretical problems and can make reasoned choices.
- Is able to locate, assess and refer to information and technical material and present it in a way that highlights a problem.
- Is able to identify, plan and implement projects and tasks.
- Communicates his/her knowledge in writing and orally to various audiences.
- Is able to highlight the effect and consequences of various solutions in fire safety engineering.
- Is able to reflect on their professional practice, in teams and multidisciplinary teams.
- Is able to contribute to discussions within their own area and share their knowledge and experience with others.
Recommended previous knowledge
- ING2046 Fire engineering design of buildings
- ING2045 Active and passive fire protection systems
Lectures, self-study and project work consisting of individual and group assignments.
Compulsory learning activities
One mandatory assignment either in the form of:
- a summary of an assigned fire investigation report, or
- a fire safety assessment within a limited topic
The work can be done in groups or individually. Type of assignment is descided by the subject teacher.
Portfolio exam consisting of several elements with both individual and group assignments. All elements must be completed in order to have an overall grade.
The entire portfolio with all elements is graded with one overall grade A - E/ passed; F / failed.
Examination support material
The portfolio includes a written test. Only aid at the test is simple calculator, allowed calculator is Casio fx-82 (all varieties: ES, ES Plus, EX, Solar etc.).More about examination support material
- INGB-068 - Brannteknisk prosjektering - Reduction: 10 studypoints
- INGB079 - Brannteknisk prosjektering - Reduction: 10 studypoints
- ING3013 - Brannteknisk prosjektering - funksjonsbaserte løsninger - Reduction: 10 studypoints
- ING3020 - Brannteknisk prosjektering - funksjonsbaserte løysningar - Reduction: 10 studypoints