MAS539 Hydrogen technology
Course description for academic year 2023/2024
Contents and structure
In a world making the transition from fossil energy sources towards the use of renewable energy, hydrogen is becoming more and more interesting as an energy carrier. This course covers production, distribution and use of hydrogen, for example in fuel cells. The focus is on technology, but relevant interdisciplinary considerations are also included to present a holistic picture.
- Methods for hydrogen production, such as steam reforming, pyrolysis, biomass gasification and electrolysis
- Storage and distribution, on land and at sea
- Use as an energy carrier and in industrial processes, including fuel cells
- Value chains and economics in hydrogen projects
- Safety when operating hydrogen plants - laws and regulations in Norway
- Has in-depth knowledge about the properties and behavior of hydrogen and different hydrogen carriers, including safety aspects
- Can explain the most important methods within hydrogen production, distribution, and use
- Knows the basic electrochemical processes related to hydrogen technolgy, including chemical equations
- Knows the main components of hydrogen fuel cell and electrolyzer systems, and can explain how they operate
- Has overall knowledge about current Norwegian regulations and laws within safety for hydrogen plants
- Knows the status of development of hydrogen technology in Norway and globally, as well as relevant examples of hydrogen projects in Norway
- Can perform overall energy calculations regarding the use of hydrogen as an energy carrier
- Can assess hydrogen as an energy carrier against alternative solutions in energy projects
- Can make overall reflections around barriers and promoters for implementation of hydrogen value chains
- Can operate a laboratory fuel cell system at a basic level
- Knows basic labroutines for safe use of hydrogen in a laboratory
- Writing of lab reports
- Can reflect on own professional practice
Recommended previous knowledge
Basic chemistry and thermodynamics
Lectures, self-study, exercises, quizes, lab exercise. Excursions if possible.
Compulsory learning activities
There will be two (2) multiple choice tests, with questions from the syllabus. These tests are course requirements, and both tests need to be completed and approved. There will also be a compulsory lab exercise and a lab report, as a course requirement.
The three course (3) requirements must be completed by set deadlines and approved before one can take the exam. The course requirements are valid for totally four (4) semesters.
Oral exam (individual), 30 minutes.
Time and place for the exam will be confirmed on the course's learning platform.
Grade scale A-F, where F corresponds to failed.
A new oral exam will be arranged in the following semester if not passed.
Examination support material
NoneMore about examination support material
- MAS307 - Hydrogenteknologi - Reduction: 10 studypoints
- HYD801 - Hydrogenteknologi I - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- HYD802 - Hydrogenteknologi II - Reduction: 5 studypoints