GE491 Bachelor Thesis in Geology
Course description for academic year 2022/2023
Contents and structure
The thesis will have a natural science focus and will normally be linked to projects and research which the department is engaged in, or formulated in collaboration with an external partner.
Various topics for bachelor theses will be presented to the students at a meeting, and the students will have a deadline to make a request about which thesis they would like. The theses topics are distributed according to an overall assessment.
The guidelines for the bachelor thesis are described here: https://www.hvl.no/student/eksamen/heimeeksamen-og-oppgaveskriving/rettleiar-for-bacheloroppgava-ved-fin/
- Know how to collect and interpret data, and present and to discuss the results in a written report.
- Have knowledge of what characterises scientific literature.
Students will be able to:
- Complete an independent project work.
- Carry out data collection.
- Conduct analysis and draw scientific conclusions.
- Presents an independent piece of work both in writing and orally using necessary techniques.
- Find scientific literature of high quality in national and international databases.
- Use references, apply citation techniques and conduct source criticism.
After successfully completing the bachelor thesis the candidate:
- Can carry out independent assessments and evaluate important geological issues.
- Will know how to define aims and objectives, accurately describe methods, find and utilise scientific literature in a correct manner.
- Will be able to provide a balanced presentation of the chosen topic.
- Will know how to structure and present a scientific report and can communicate the main points of a scientific report in a clear and understandable way (written and orally).
Recommended previous knowledge
Students should have completed 90 ECTS credits courses within the bachelor programme in geology and geohazards or equivalent.
Independent work with supervision from one or more teachers. It is normal for 2 - 3 students to write their thesis together. It is not possible to be more than 3 students in each group.
Compulsory learning activities
- Participation in a bachelor seminar in January
- Oral group-presentation of the thesis before delivery deadline
Bachelor's Thesis. Grading: A-F.
- GE491 - Bacheloroppgåve i anvendt geologi - Reduction: 20 studypoints