Conditions for children as explorers
KINDknow WP 6
In this work-package, the dialogical nature of children’s play, learning and cultural formation and the conditions for it are investigated. Children’s activities are seen as relational, institutional, culturally and contextually constructed. Families, kindergartens and kindergarten teacher education are seen as the main arenas/conditions for providing quality for children’s exploration. The dialogical nature of the WP is captures in the concept of exploration in studies of children, teachers and KT students in institutional settings. The WP will use an inquiry research approach, where a variety of stakeholders will participate in shaping the research questions, the data collection and the analysis.
The main objective is to describe, analyze and disseminate knowledge about the conditions for children’s explorations in kindergartens, and thereby indicate what to preserve, challenge and/or indicate the need for new practice methodologies to meet children as explorers.
This WP will undertake the following sets of tasks:
- undertake a survey to gain general parent and teacher perspectives on kindergarten methodologies
- undertake observation of children in activities involving interaction among students, and children and staff, artefacts and themes, in daily life, in Nordic and Asian countries.
- undertake field-material of KTE students in activities involving interaction among children, students and and teachers, artefacts and themes, in daily life.
- undertake videotaped workshops in which participants will be asked to present their personal histories, using photo as a visual self-representation of themselves related to a chosen artefact.
- Birkeland, Åsta Temporal settings in Kindergarten: a lens to trace historical and current cultural formation ideals. European Early Childhood Education Research Journal 2018 (1350-293X) Volum 27.(1) s. 53-67. Cristin publikasjons-ID: 1643306 Institusjon: HVL
- Birkeland, Åsta; Ødemotland, Siv Disorienting Dilemmas - The Significance of Resistance and Disturbance in an Intercultural Program within Kindergarten Teacher Education. Integrative Psychological and Behavioural Science 2018 (1932-4502) Vol. 52 (3), s. 377-387. Cristin publikasjons-ID: 1585737 Institusjon: HVL
- Grindheim, Liv Torunn Beyond uniform reproduction: Exploring children's imaginative play through the lenses of their teacher. Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood 2018 (1463-9491), s. 1-12. Cristin publikasjons-ID: 1595342 Institusjon: HVL
- Sadownik, Alicja R. Belonging and participation at stake. Polish migrant children about (mis)recognition of their needs in Norwegian ECECs. European Early Childhood Education Research Journal 2018 (1350-293X), s. 956-971. Cristin publikasjons-ID: 1622000 Institusjon: HVL