GE4-304 Master's Thesis in Climate Change Management
Emneplan for studieåret 2021/2022
Innhald og oppbygging
The goal of the master thesis is to give students insight and experience in planning, executing and writing an independent planning or research project.
At the start of the master program, an opening seminar will be arranged, where students will be presented for possible master projects. Students will design a research question, in cooperation with their supervisor; immerse themselves in relevant literature, and select methods for collecting, analyzing and interpreting data. Each student will be appointed a primary supervisor, who has completed a PhD, and the possibility of a secondary supervisor. An agreement between the supervisor and the student, that clearly defines the rights and obligations of the two parties, must be signed before work on the thesis project commences. For research projects that require fieldwork, a plan for the fieldwork must be discussed and developed together with the supervisor. If ecological fieldwork is required, this must be conducted during the growth season between the first and second year of the program.
The student has
- in depth knowledge of a specific topic and relevant theories
- advanced knowledge of relevant research methods
- knowledge about scientific methods, hypothesis testing and scientific writing
The student is able to
- find relevant scientific literature, and evaluate it critically and use it to structure and formulate research questions and academic reasoning
- evaluate existing hypotheses, theories, methods and interpretations within a discipline, and work independently with practical and theoretical problem solving
- use modern software for processing and analyzing maps, planning, and data analysis
- formulate research questions, collect and analyse data, and disseminate research results in scientific and popular science media
- complete an independent research project, under guidance and in accordance with the established norms of scientific and research ethics
The student can
- apply their knowledge and skills in new areas and carry out advanced work assignments
- express themselves well orally and in writing in English and Norwegian
- convey extensive individual research and master relevant terminology
- communicate scientific research questions, conduct analyses of data, evaluate results and conclusions within relevant fields
Krav til forkunnskapar
Completed bachelor degree of 180 ECTS and 90 ECTS of the master program
Undervisnings- og læringsformer
Field work, literature study, writing sessions, peer discussions, supervision.
- Before 1 November. 3rd semester: submit agreement with supervisor and supervision plan in Canvas (cf. department guidelines for master theses)
- March-April, 4th semester: Individual mid-way presentation of the thesis project (e.g. poster), including a presentation of the methods, analyses and preliminary results and conclusions
- May, 4th semester: Individual, oral presentation of the thesis to the students supervisor, the class and other interested parties
Written master's thesis and adjusting oral exam
The evaluation commission will be comprised of two people, one internal and one external evaluator. The supervisor is not part of the evaluation commission.
The thesis must be handed in electronically, and will be electronically checked for plagiarism.
Hjelpemiddel ved eksamen
All resources availableMeir om hjelpemiddel